I’m still not an expert at making corn tortillas without a press, but I was in awe of this woman at the Mole Festival in San Pedro Atocpan. Her name is Bertha Reyes Romero and she was the quesadilla-maker at one of the restaurants.
Her hands worked so fast that I asked if I could take a video, and she said yes.
Who is Mija?
Mija is Lesley Téllez, a food writer and culinary guide in New York City. I spent four years in Mexico's Distrito Federal, which launched my deep love for Mexican food and culture. In 2010 I co-founded the tourism company Eat Mexico.
Be kind, ask permission!All photos on this site were taken by me, unless otherwise noted. If you'd like to use a photo, please email me.
Top Posts & Pages
- How to make homemade enchilada sauce in three easy steps
- How to make your own butter
- How to make chiles rellenos, Mexican-grandmother style
- Five truths about tamales
- A gringa in Mexico City
- How to make a proper chile en nogada
- Red taquería-style salsa
- Simple Oaxacan chile pasilla salsa
- How to season a molcajete, when you’re absolutely tired of grinding
Get The Mija Chronicles in your inbox
Read my old posts